Here are the current entry requirements for tourists, residents and citizens traveling or returning to Costa Rica as of October 10th, 2020 including links, countries and relevant information.
Personal video from Theo Veenstra on traveling to Costa Rica, Lets Buy Costa Rica.com
*All North Americans are free to enter Costa Rica as of November 1st,
At this time, No COVID-19 cases correspond to international tourists. The country first opened its borders for international flights on August 1.
The following Countries are authorized to enter Costa Rica;
- This is the list currently in effect: (Oct 10, 2020)
- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C., Arizona, Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wyoming California and Ohio.
- As of Oct. 15: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: Residents of Florida, Georgia and Texas
- As of Nov 01: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: All U.S. citizens and residents
- CANADA: All citizens and residents
- MEXICO: All citizens and residents
- THE EUROPEAN UNION SCHENGEN ZONE: All citizens and residents
- UNITED KINGDOM: All citizens and residents
- CENTRAL AMERICA AND PANAMA: All citizens and residents. As of Oct. 15. Except Nicaragua
- SOUTH AMERICA: Citizens and residents of Uruguay
- THE CARIBBEAN: Citizens and residents of Jamaica
- ASIA: Citizens and residents of Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, and the People’s Republic of China
- OCEANIA: Citizens and residents of Australia and New Zealand
Requirements for tourists entering Costa Rica
Visitors from the U.S. must reside in one of the authorized states, and must have a driver’s license or State ID corroborating their state of residency.
Tourists from these states — or from an authorized country, such as Canada — can fly through a non-authorized country en route to Costa Rica. The maximum layover time is 18 hours, provided the traveler does not leave the airport.
Tourists wishing to enter Costa Rica via a flight must comply with these requirements:
- Complete the online “Health Pass” epidemiological form: https://salud.go.cr.
- Show proof of a negative RT-PCR test for the coronavirus. The sample for the test must have been taken no more than 72 hours before departure.
- Obtain travel insurance. This can be either a pre-approved Costa Rican policy from INS or Sagicor, or an international policy that covers COVID-19 medical expenses of at least $50,000 and $2,000 for lodging.
- Many other suitable travel insurance coverages exist, including Blue Cross. Private insurance brokers both here in Costa Rica and your ome country are offering alternative policies. Attached is a link to a broker here in Costa Rica. https://allinsurancecr.com/covid-travel/
Tourists coming from anywhere but the United States must have remained in an authorized country for at least 14 days before travel.
U.S. residents must show a driver’s license or State ID indicating they live in the authorized state. This requirement is for anyone traveling prior to Nov 1st, 2020
Requirements for citizens and residents
Citizens and residents can legally return to Costa Rica via a flight from anywhere.
Here are the entry requirements for citizens of Costa Rica
- Complete the Health Pass.
Here are the entry requirements for residents (permanent, temporary, special categories or estancias):
- Complete the Health Pass.
- Present a valid DIMEX card.
- Have proof of current payment into the Caja OR have travel insurance that covers COVID-19 with a minimum coverage of 22 days. Residents without current Caja payments will be obligated to catch up on payments within those 22 days. Citizens and residents are issued a 14-day quarantine upon their arrival in Costa Rica. However, they are exempted from the isolation order if they come from an approved country/U.S. state and obtained a negative RT-PCR coronavirus test prior to travel.
- https://ticotimes.net/ has daily information on traveling to Costa Rica
Here is a link to updated information from the Costa Rican Tourism Board Click Here
What are the acceptable Covid-19 tests for entry into Costa Rica?
At this time Costa Rica is only accepting the results of one type of test. That test is the RT-PCR test (reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) testing). The results must be within 72 hours of boarding the airplane. I will up date this information if further test types become acceptable. Please forward any current testing information, locations etc that offer the RT-PCR test and I will update the links. Lets make traveling great again.
Links to USA testing
Links to Canadian Testing centres
I found a couple links in Canada. There seems to be a lot of information depending on the province. Here are a couple links. Check online for your province
Shopper Drug Mart is offering Covid testing at some stores. Go online to find a location near you.
Quebec Google or other Quebec. There are many options for information and testing depending on your area
Testing in Europe Varies, with some testing available at the airports
Below are links to some great properties currently available. (Hover over the name and right click)
- Ocean View Condo, Pacifico Clubside 107, Fully renovated, refurnished
- Ocean View 2 Bedroom, 2 Bath Villa, Okeano #6
- 3 Bdrm, 3.5 Bath New Spec Villa, Pacifico 88
- 5 Bedroom 3 Bath, Ocean Front, Villa Amarillo
- Ocean View 3 Bdrm, 2 1/2 Bath Condo & Beach Club C510
- 2 Bedroom, 1 Bath Condo Walk to Beach Under $100,000
- 4 Bdrm, 4 1/2 Bath Villa Casa Hermosa Montana
- Brand New 2 Bdrm, 2 Bath House, Casa Lapa
Theo Veenstra, Tres Amigos Realty Group firstname.lastname@example.org, +506-8360-1006, 1-877-205-5507